Thursday, July 16, 2015

Behind The Scenes Spotlight: From Model to Bestie



I have always held a 9-5 throughout my photographic career. It's been a pragmatic, logical decision. This way I am afforded the opportunity to make the images I want and not be so bound to customer input. At least for Fine Art imagery. (I do what I want! - as Cartman would say)

It was in one such office that this beautiful boy caught my attention. Because of the politically correct nature of Corporate America I chose not to approach him even though I knew the camera would adore him.

Then there was a fire drill. Actually it could've been a case of burnt popcorn in a microwave, that happened too many times to count in that building. I was sitting in the grass with a friend of mine just shooting the shit when she said hi to someone who walked past. It was him. She knew him!

Quickly I discovered that they were friendly and there was my connection. I asked her to introduce us and for her to broach the subject of my photography that mostly focused on the male form. Before I knew it he was sitting in my living room and we were hashing out a plan for a shoot.

Luckily he had a friend who owned a cabin in the woods (no horrifying monsters beneath it to my knowledge) and we chose to travel a couple hours north to spend a weekend creating these gorgeous natural images.

We hiked all over those woods, stopping anywhere and everywhere that seemed to call out and say "Hey, I'm a good spot!" Unfortunately this is the only image that has survived an ill fated hard drive crash from several years back. But I believe it was my favorite anyway so I'm happy to still have it.

This all took place in 2004. We've not only stayed in contact but his friendship means the world to me. Rarely does a day go by that we don't communicate. Everyone needs a friend who knows to rush over and erase their buddies hard drive after your unfortunate passing. This guy is such a friend.

From Model to Bestie. It's a rare occurrence but very much a treasured one.

No comments:

Post a Comment